Considering trying dermal fillers such JUVÉDERM® at my Westchester dermatology practice? These helpful injectables can provide rejuvenating results without surgery, making them a favorite of many of the men and women I treat. Before you pencil in your first appointment, however, there are a few things you should be aware of.
This blog post will outline a few important facts about fillers everyone should know before trying them for the first time.
1. Choosing the right injector is key.
Your safety and results rely on the expertise of a skilled and experienced injector working at a trustworthy practice. While it’s easy enough to find a good deal, it’s more important to look for providers based on credentials instead.
All of our injectors here at the Center are highly experienced and trained in safely delivering great dermal filler results. As the principal investigator of the clinical trials conducted at the Center, I’ve helped develop some of the products and techniques we use to offer our patients the very best service possible.
2. All fillers are not created equal.
While many fillers contain the same basic ingredients, some are better for treating certain concerns than others. Formulations vary slightly to provide optimal results in different areas of the face. These formulations include:
- JUVÉDERM Ultra XC: Used for lip enhancement and lip border definition.
- JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA®: Ideal for lip enhancement and smoothing lines around the mouth.
- JUVÉDERM VOLLURE™: Reduces nasolabial folds, lip lines, and other wrinkles around the nose and mouth.
- JUVÉDERM VOLUMA®: Augments and defines the upper, lower, and mid-cheeks.
- Restylane® Refyne: Treats moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds.
- Restylane Defyne: Addresses wrinkles of more significant depth.
- RADIESSE®: Adds volume in the hands for a rejuvenating effect.
As you discuss your goals with your injector, he or she will recommend the right product or combination of products for you.
3. Your results won’t last forever.
The lifespan of your results will depend on the product used and the area treated, but most filler results last up to 18 months. This gives you the opportunity to refresh your look or try something new periodically. You won’t have to commit to your results permanently, which especially benefits new patients who are trying fillers for the first time. Learn more about the first-timer experience in our previous blog post.
4. Plan for upcoming events.
Filler appointments are quick and require very little downtime, but it’s wise to give yourself a few months to fully heal before a major event, such as a wedding. Swelling and bruising may last for a few days after your appointment and it takes about 4 weeks for filler to settle in. After the initial treatment a patient should schedule a follow up appointment 4 weeks later since they may need more filler or want to tweak for optimal results. Avoid scheduling your filler treatment less than 3-4 months before your big day.
5. Fillers and BOTOX® Cosmetic are not the same things.
While both treatments are beloved for their wrinkle-fighting abilities, they work in very different ways. Fillers add volume while BOTOX and other neurotoxins relax surrounding muscles, smoothing lines like the “11’s” between the eyebrows. These injectables can work together to create more comprehensive improvements.
To learn more about dermal filler treatments at our Westchester dermatology practice, please contact us online or call (914) 241-3003.